Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Way Road

The other day I had a thought cross through my mind. Being the stubborn, hard headed person that I can sometimes be, I have found myself traveling down a one way road the wrong way. I have not listened when others tried to tell me you might want to turn around now. You see when I took a poll of my Facebook friends I found out that everyone would rather be told to turn around than to have a head on collision. But if it were not a literal road that you were driving on, but a spiritual road would the answer be the same?
I have only literally driven down a one way road one time. My best friend was with me and we couldn't quite figure out why cars were waving at us and honking and then it clicked in my head I must be going the wrong way. However, spiritually I have been going down the road the wrong way, have been on the wrong road, and ended up in the wrong place, too many times. Too many times I did not listen to the warnings that friends, families, and even God tried to give me. I believe that I didn't listen because I might have felt they were judging me instead of loving me, because I am one of those people that has to do it myself to find out if it hurts (not so much anymore), and because I was rebelling. 
Matthew 7:13-14 states:
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Looks like we have a narrow road, and a wide road. I feel like many people Christians and non-Christians find themselves on that wide road. We want to be loving and accepting, but we also want to stand up for injustice. We want to go to church, but as long as we teach about how good we are and hear no gloom and doom. We want to leave church every Sunday for our weekly dose of God and hope it lasts throughout the week. We want God in our lives, but only when it is convenient or when we need something. We can give God two hours a week, but not a piece of our time every day. I am guilty of this. I miss the days of conviction in church. I miss preachers that aren't afraid to tell the truth. The truth hurts! Love sometimes hurts, too. I can't live thinking that no matter what I do everything is going to be nice and peachy with God. It isn't okay. I am grateful and thankful that I have God in my life, that I have accepted him as my Savior, and I know that He has forgiven me for my sins, but I look out into a world that thinks that everything is alright. I am trying to warn people about the wrong way. But my example has not been perfect. According to those who don't believe I am a hypocrite. We are all hypocrites. 
Isaiah 59:8 states:
"The way of peace they do not know; there is no justice in their paths. They have turned them into crooked roads; no one who walks among them will know peace."
Our world is a scary place to be. It looks like we will never have peace. Thankfully if you have Jesus in your life you will know some peace. You have hope for an eternal future. But if not you will be dealing with the turmoil and fear from now on. Don't ignore the warning signs. Listen to your family and friends. Be accountable to one another. If you see your friend straying try to bring them back in. And constantly pray for this world we live in and the people who are in it. Lord knows we all need a fresh start!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment